Friday, February 03, 2006

I love me some eye candy on television. But, I get a little confused with all the straightys or maybe not so straightys playing gay, then playing gay basher, then playing straight best friend, then... Maybe that's why I don't mind reality tv.


Huntley Ritter. On Popular, he played the gay-bashing football/baseball player with that scary look in his eye.

Then in Bring It On, he was the gayish cheerleader who gave an Oscar-worthy performance highlighted by a scene where he got all nervous about telling some blondey that he was "great." Oscar, I tell you. Not totally true to life, but, eh, all in a day.


There's Charlie Hunnam. He was the boytoy "Michael" of the U.K. version of Queer As Folk. Whereas the U.S. QAF was a little past softcore, the U.K. pushed past hardcore. I'm not complaining, I'm just sayin...

Then in Young Americans, possibly the best television show of all time, he played the rotten apple that hated on the turned-out-not-to-be gayish couple. When one person is crossdressing, though, I'm not sure what to call it. That's the brilliance of Y.A. Why, oh W.B. execs, did this show end?


Of course we'll move onto Ian Sommerhalder.

In Rules Of Attraction, we wished casting had found someone other than James Vanderbeek. But, eh, we'll take it. With his dancing scenes in front of the mirror and on the bed, Ian made us forget about Crazy Cruise. Thank Scientology God.

In MTV's Anatomy of A Hate Crime, he played Aaron McKinney, one of Matthew Shepard's murderers. Busy Phillips, one of the gay's favorites on The Creek College Years, also played McKinney's girlfriend.

On Young Americans, he thought he was gay when he fell in love with a guy. Turned out to be a girl crossdressing as a guy to piss off her parents. Not really sure how that one worked out. Who cares. He took his shirt off a lot.


There's John Driscoll. On the Creek, he played the Frat rush chair who HAD to have Jack join the house. Then, he turns and not in the good way. He leads the charge to push Jack's boy-loving out of the house's memory.

And then, he appears on Book Of Daniel. He flirts with Christian Campbell after their church choir performance. He's sweet and believable as the masculine, metro straight guy.



Of course, me loves me some Christian Campbell. Trick will always have a special place in my heart. It wasn't the best movie, but it was one of the first. It wasn't really comforting and there wasn't much in the way of plot, but at least it seemed real. And, they showed in in Champaign-Urbana. I couldn't believe it.

In Trick, he played the young, naive, showtune-writing, go-go boy-chasing, living day-to-day-in-NYC twink.

In Book of Daniel, he plays the chess-playing, dorky, son-of-a-preacher-man, church choir-singing gay boy who isn't against sleeping with women.

Disconnect? Nope. But, me loves me some Christian Campbell. Have you seen those dimples?

I'm guessing the problem isn't so much that I don't know whether they're gay or gay-bashing characters, but that I'm watching things like Bring It On and The Creek. Just a guess.

No comments: