Saturday, February 25, 2006

I almost pulled a Cho

I was in a good mood. I swear.

I was driving to the laundromat this morning to do some laundry for work.

No, Kim, not that kind of laundry.

Anyway, there was a bumper sticker on the minivan in front of me. Suburban soccer mom was still waving thanks to me for letting her in despite the fact she almost totalled the passenger side of my car. At first, I just saw the boldface, all-caps words.

SCOUTING
(tiny tiny words)
AMERICA

It's been a while since I've seen any kind of Scouting bumper sticker.

But then I got closer. At the stop light, I pulled close enough behind the van and, in disbelief, read the rest of the bumper sticker.

SCOUTING
reinforces the values of
AMERICA

I swear to you the following is totally true.

I took off my seat belt. I put the car in park. I pulled the hand brake. I opened the door.

Margaret, our dear Cho, talked about how she was so offended by a bumper sticker that she pulled up next to a car, rolled down her window and YELLED until the driver made a quick turn to get away from Cho The Great.

At that moment, I realized that what I was about to do wasn't worth whatever might follow. Shorewood, Wisconsin, is not the kind of place that one makes a scene. Especially someone who isn't white. And the "victim" is.

For some reason, I'm still steaming mad.

My Eagle badge is just as good as her spoiled, sheltered, homophobic, probably-will-turn-out-gay-cause-karma's-a-bitch, son.

I guess this ramble hasn't really screamed MATURE.

I'll get over it.

And, believe, I'll be a-writin tonight.

No comments: