Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Is it Tuesday?

So, yeah, I haven't blogged in awhile. I'm a bad blogger. A bad bad blogger. I've now decided that I'm going to blog at least every other day. We'll see how that goes.

Well, at the beginning of July, I headed over to ole East Lansing, Michigan and Michigan State University for what has become for me an annual pilgrimage. Six years ago I got hired to work summer volleyball camps after a friend of a friend referred me to the MSU assistant coach. As someone who was never really taught any kind of fundamentals, I was REALLY excited to learn from then head coach Chuck Erbe. Basically, Coach Erbe was and is one of the BEST coaches of volleyball fundamentals in the history of United States volleyball. Considering I learned how to play the sport watching men's and women's U of Hawaii volleyball on TV and listening to coaches who basically said, "Set better...pass better....serve better," I didn't have a lot of previous experience to fall back on when I became a coach.

I actually wasn't going to go back this summer because Coach Erbe and his staff retired/left. I didn't personally know anyone on the new staff, so I figured I'd take this summer off. But, I got an e-mail asking me to come back to Lansing to coach all four summer camps and I couldn't really turn it down. Stroked my ego a bit, it did. And a thousand plus dollars in the bank account is always a nice cushion.

A lot happened over the three weeks...a lot. From the drag queen chasing two of my friends across a dance floor with a high heel in her hand...to the drunken half-price wine night...to my semi-fan-club-of-16-year-old-girls...to the image of a 50 year old coach tucking her shirt into her bra seered into my brain...to the serious fat camp experience that it became...to almost being hit by lightning...yeah, a lot happened.

For now, I'm back in Milwaukee. Stuck for awhile. The boss isn't going to give me time off for quite some time, so I'm back to working 5-day weeks again. Oh woe is me, I know.

No comments: